Connect with us

News

Bruno Fernandes spotted watching match in stands on free Man United weekend as reason explained

With Manchester United not in action across the weekend due to suffering FA Cup elimination, captain Bruno Fernandes travelled back to Portugal to watch a second division game

Bruno Fernandes was spotted watching a Portuguese second division match on his free weekend without a Manchester United game. Fernandes, 31, jetted back to his homeland following United’s 1-1 draw against West Ham last Tuesday, a result that ended Michael Carrick’s four-match winning start as interim head coach.

And as the Reds were knocked out of the FA Cup with a third-round defeat to Brighton last month, they had a free weekend with no game.

Fernandes opted to take advantage of having a break by touching base back home. He did, however, shock fans on Sunday when he was pictured taking in a Liga Portugal 2 game.

United captain Fernandes was in the stands at Estadio Capital do Movel watching Pacos Ferreira draw 0-0 with Torreense. The Portugal international was seen covered in a green blanket and surrounded by family.

According to SportTV, Fernandes was there to cheer his friend and Pacos star Francisco Ramos, who moved back to Portugal last summer following a two-year spell at Polish side Radomiak Radom.

Ensure our latest sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings

Fernandes and Ramos are said to have been close for some time, dating back to sharing a dressing room while playing for the youth team set-up at Portugal. After Pacos were held to a goalless draw against Torreense, Ramos described Fernandes as someone who is “always special”.

Ramos, 30, said: “He is always special. He is someone connected to me and my family. In addition, it is always special to have a figure of this from our football watching us. He values Portuguese football, he values Pacos de Ferreira and I’m happy to have him close.”

Fernandes is set to jet back to the United Kingdom in due course as United prepare for next Monday’s Premier League fixture against Everton. The Reds return to action following a 13-day hiatus after the draw at West Ham, which saw them remain in fourth in the top flight table.

Content cannot be displayed without consent

Carrick’s United were, however, on course for a first league defeat in 2026 up until Benjamin Sesko cancelled out Tomas Soucek’s 50th minute opener. Sesko converted Bryan Mbeumo’s cross in the 96th minute to rescue a point for the Reds, who move to nine unbeaten in the top flight.

Speaking post-West Ham, Carrick admitted he had mixed emotions on the result and the point.

“It’s mixed feelings,” Carrick said in his press conference. “We know we weren’t quite at our best and credit West Ham for that. We can be better, the boys are frustrated and disappointed with that, which is good to see.

“We found a late goal, it’s a great moment and another positive. We don’t want to have to pull on it and use it too often, but in the grand scheme of things, a point is something we can take. When you assess games over a five-match period, to only have one draw is a big positive but it’s mixed feelings.”

FOLLOW OUR MAN UNITED FB PAGE! Latest news and analysis via the MEN’s Manchester United Facebook page

Sky Sports discounted Premier League and EFL package

This article contains affiliate links, we will receive a commission on any sales we generate from it. Learn more
Content Image

£49

£35

Sky

Get Sky Sports here

Sky has slashed the price of its Essential TV and Sky Sports bundle for the 2025/26 season, saving members £336 and offering more than 1,400 live matches across the Premier League, EFL and more.

Sky will show at least 215 live Premier League games this season, an increase of up to 100 more.

2026-02-16 10:21:27

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in News