Gary Neville has slammed Ruben Amorim’s treatment of Kobbie Mainoo as his ‘worst decision’ at Manchester United before the Portuguese coach’s sacking in January
07:50, 17 Feb 2026Updated 07:51, 17 Feb 2026

Gary Neville has named the worst decision Ruben Amorim made at Manchester United(Image: James Gill – Danehouse/Getty Images)
Gary Neville has described Ruben Amorim’s failure to utilise Kobbie Mainoo more this season as the former Manchester United head coach’s ‘worst decision’.
The 20-year-old did not feature in a single Premier League starting line-up this season before Amorim’s departure on 5 January. Since then, Mainoo has been a regular fixture under interim boss Michael Carrick and was instrumental in United’s impressive run of four consecutive victories.
The midfielder is also mounting a late challenge to secure a place in the England squad ahead of this summer’s World Cup. During Amorim’s tenure, the academy product believed he would need to move elsewhere to secure the playing time necessary to catch the attention of England head coach Thomas Tuchel.
Ensure our latest sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as a Preferred Source in your Google search settings
His recent displays are precisely why Neville thinks Amorim’s refusal to give Mainoo opportunities in the side contributed to the Portuguese coach’s undoing. The pundit said on Stick to Football: “Kobbie Mainoo didn’t even get a chance under Ruben, really. If you think about it now and look at Mainoo in this team, that looks like the worst decision Ruben Amorim made.”
Neville accused the former United boss of ‘killing’ Mainoo. He continued: “I must admit, I never liked the handling of Mainoo. I think we talked about that a lot on this show. I never liked the handling of that.
“When he [Amorim] said at the start of the season that it was him or Bruno [Fernandes], I never agreed with that. It killed Kobbie Mainoo. It killed him publicly, and then he never put him in the team at all, apart from against Grimsby in the [League] Cup.
FOLLOW OUR MAN UNITED FB PAGE! Latest news and analysis via the MEN’s Manchester United Facebook page
Mainoo will be aiming to continue disproving Amorim when United face Everton next Monday. Another strong performance could enhance his chances of being selected for Tuchel’s squad for England’s two friendly matches in March.
Tuchel recently confirmed that the 20-year-old was ‘back in the picture’ alongside United colleagues Harry Maguire and Luke Shaw. Speaking at the Nations League draw on Thursday, the Three Lions manager said: “It is great that [Mainoo] is back on the pitch.
“He is such a huge talent. He has already played a tournament [Euro 2024] from start to finish for England (Mainoo started every match of the knockout stages), so he is back in the picture, so is Luke Shaw, and so is Harry [Maguire].
“There are some players suddenly back in the picture; they [United] play a back four now and play with a different style, which is a bit easier to translate to our structure at the moment. It’s good competition.”
Here at The Manchester Evening News, we are dedicated to bringing you the best Manchester United coverage and analysis.
Make sure you don’t miss out on the latest United news by joining our free WhatsApp group. You can get all the breaking news and best analysis sent straight to your phone by clicking here to subscribe.
You can also subscribe to our free newsletter service. Click here to be sent all the day’s biggest stories.
And, finally, if you would rather listen to our expert analysis, then make sure to check out our Manchester is Red podcast. Our shows are available on all podcast platforms, including Spotify and Apple Podcasts, and you can also watch along on YouTube.
2026-02-17 07:50:55